Sunday, July 16, 2006

Rumblings of the Cave

Ramblings might have been a more appropriate word. My thought process is getting just like my balance, I start one way and go another. However, some of the most interesting things encountered are by accident.

All these thoughts about movies lately brought up some "old" memories of how Marbella responded to movies in her younger years. For instance, after she saw "The Greatest Show on Earth" she was so taken by the ladies riding the horses standing up that one day she decided to try it. Sure enough about the time she stood up on the horse her father appeared and was shaken by the sight. He promised to get rid of the horse if this trick was tried again. You guessed it, Marbella thought she could accomplish another ride without anyone knowing. Again, the patriarch arrived home unexpectedly and sure enough, the horse disappeared shortly after.

The next movie that promoted a re-enactment was "Jessie James" .
Marbella and her best buddy were riding on her friend's horse and they decided to rob the grocery store so they could give to the poor. Now back in those days there were only two grocery stores in our town and the backs of the stores were full of sacks of feed etc so the big doors were left open. Since Marbella's uncle owned one store, they chose the other one. Even though that merchant was known to be pretty hostile, they chose him. Of course, there were no intentions of truly committing a robbery but just having fun. When the two young robbers rode into the back of the store, the mechant just happened to be standing there. When the two stated, "We are here to rob you" he started screaming and waving his hands at us and said, "I'll make you think rob you" and at his tirade our horse took off at a dead run. To help you better get a picture of how my Mom found out about this "immediately" I have to explain something. My buddy had her hair up in pincurls using the old fashion bobby pins and in those days they did not have rubber tips. Anyway, the horse was so scared that he was running down ditches and up the other side and each time my face would smash into the bobby pins and when we got home my face was totally full of tiny pricks.

So now Marbella, usually very strict about correct use of grammar, will probably forever refer to tomatoes as "maters".

Just goes to show one never knows the impact movies have on both the young and the "mature".

4 comments:

Ger said...

Interesting LOL! Wondering if you had bandanas on or just thought the world was too big to be recognized in..ROFL...

emc said...

I always figured you were more a rascal than you let on. Now the truth is finally coming out!

One movie that was the first to have a big impact on me, that I remember, was one where Patty Duke was a track star (Billie. )

For starters, when I was 10 I was absolutely in lurv with her anyway. But in the movie she'd hear music in her head and speed up the beat to run faster at track meets. And that actually works, lol.

Anonymous said...

I have to say I love movies of almost every genre but my favorite and the one that has stayed with me since the first time I saw it is "The Quiet Man" with John Wayne.

Seeing this story of such a powerful person with nothing prove just trying to find his "home" leaves so many avenues for thought.

pg สล็อต said...

pg สล็อต วอเลท บริการที่เรายินดี เสนอ เพื่อมอบความสบายสบาย ให้กับผู้เล่นรวมทั้งสมาชิกของเรา ด้วยบริการเพิ่ม PG SLOT สำหรับเล่น ซุปเปอร์ผ่าน ทรูมันนี่ วอเล็ทวิถีทางเล่นของยอดฮิตอย่างใหญ่โต