Tuesday, July 04, 2006

July 4, 1956

Yes, you read it right. I vividly remember where I was 50 years ago today and exactly what I was wearing. If you are interested (or not) I wore a pink blouse and black and pink pedal pushers. Thats what they were called back then instead of capris. Maybe they named them that because most of us rode bikes without chain guards so had to wear shorter pants to keep them out of the chain. But then maybe not.

Anyway, back to the story, I started this journey at McAlester on a greyhound bus and headed out for a 2200 mile trip. Now this doesn't sound so unusual but maybe a few tidbits of info thrown in will make it seem more challenging. First, I was a whopping 16 years and 10 months old and leaving home and making my first bus ride. You see, the Forester had gone on ahead and found the "mountain cabin" at the edge of the earth. Well, if not the edge of the earth, at least the edge of the United States.

Those were definitely the "olden days". The bus had no air conditioning, bathroom or smoking section. Since I was travelling on a holiday weekend, the bus was totally packed.

My first seat (and only one available) was on the very back bench seat right between a rather heavy set lady (who had not indulged in the practice of using deodorant) and a cigar smoking big mouth. Needless to say, it didn't take long for me to become very "bus sick". In those days, I only weighed 110 lbs so didn't have much excess to shed.

One good thing, pink and green go well together or so I thought. It must not have as the bus driver took one look at me and had a gentleman move to my seat and then he put me on the front seat.

The positive side of this is that I sure saved money on food on that four days and nights trip. I should have been prepared that when I got to Lewiston my luggage would have gone the other direction. It took several days for it to catch up to me.

Okay, now you have the story behind the entrance I made into the cabin with the huge iron box for a stove.

The part that amazes the most in looking back is that I was totally undaunted by all these new experiences. Maybe it was youth or stupidity or a little of both.

No comments: