Thursday, July 27, 2006

Neuroses or Character Disorder

I have been reading with interest the difference in neurosis and character disorders. Supposedly most people who visit psychiatrists are suffering from either a neurosis or a character disorder. These two conditions, put simply, are disorders of responsibility. They are opposite styles of relating to the world and its problems. The neurotic assumes too much responsibility; the person with a character disorder not enough. When neurotics are in conflict with the world they automatically assume that they are at fault. (I fit in this category). Those with character disorders automatically assume that the world is at fault. Could this be why some people are alcoholics? They seem to always find someone or something to blame to excuse their drinking. While I realize that alcoholism is a disease, it can be controlled just like diabetes and other physical ailments but one has to be willing to follow a certain regiment.

I have reached a conclusion that before I can take this responsibility or my actions that I must first deal with problem solving. Problem solving must continually be employed if our lives are to be healthy and our spirits are to grow; however, it has to have dedication to the TRUTH. Superficially, this should be obvious. For truth is reality!
My view of reality is like a map with which to negotiate the terrain of life. If the map is true and accurate, I will generally know where I am, and if I have decided where I want to go, I will generally get there. If the map is false and inaccurate, I most generally will be lost.

How can I have a life dedicated to the truth if I do not have a life of never-ending self-examination. I am often tempted to stringently examine the world but not be so diligent in self examination. I believe true self examination takes courage. I am not advocating for a solemn self punishing soul searching but rather a diligent desire for finding the best in ourselves and building on it while being honest enough to get rid of the less desirable traits.

It took me a long time and much therapy to realize that my life has been a series of choices. I can find all kinds of reasons why "they weren't really my choice" however, I made them so I take ownership.
However, I must not accept the responsibility for someone else's shortcomings. One Cub told me one time that I felt I should be "the fixer" of everyone's problems and he just didn't realize how right he is.

So to sum up these ramblings, I am saying that I am working hard to take responsibility for my actions and not accept the blame for the actions of others. Easier said than done I assure you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Possibly the most true thing I have read on the Internet...

emc said...

Those ideas about where responsibility begins and ends are very powerful! I find it interesting that the Delphic Oracles, the historical ladies of prophecy, had the inscription "know thysef" carved in gold on the entrance to their temple. Makes me wonder if what we are able to know about ourselves becomes our destiny (or perhaps what we don't know becomes our fate)?