Friday, July 21, 2006

Panacea of my Soul

I read with interest the powers of the wind. While I also share in the healing effects of the wind, the roar of the ocean is the most powerful in restoring my inner balance. During some of the most soul/heart wrenching times of my life my panacea was getting to the ocean on weekends for nourishment for my soul.

While contemplating on the wind and ocean, it brought to mind the pursuit of happiness and why some people seem to find it while others search to and fro and never find happiness. Often times we allow ourselves to be diverted, or led astray from the true path to the fulfillment of our dreams. The vast media influence is a powerful obstacle to overcome when 24/7 people are bombarded with "things". Young people are growing up thinking they have to have designer jeans, etc to be happy and we buy into that by getting them for our children. That is just one example from an abundance of many others.

Now back to the roar of the ocean, it is totally therapeutic for me and a tremendous power to help my mind accomplish what would otherwise be more difficult. In times gone by, I was studying for certification boards in two totally different areas and my Alien was very wise. He would take me to the ocean and back the motor home up to the dunes. I would open the back window and study to the sound of the ocean. The ocean should get the accolades for my accomplishment in passing these boards.

I often wonder if people are searching for happiness "out of their element" and that is the reason it always eludes them. I heard the analogy once of how if you take a fish and put it on the sand it will die. The fish's element is definitely the water. Since I believe our element is in God's creations we also must stay in his element. Thus, the nourishment to the soul by the wind and water.

In my heart of hearts, I truly feel that each individual is responsible for their own happiness. Think about it, most everything we do is tied to the pursuit of happiness but when the choices we make are not the right ones, we sabotage that effort and must take the responsibility for it.

You will notice that I jump from happiness to the soul but honestly think they are so innertwined that they are together in one form or another. Thanks for letting me share my panacea for my soul.

7 comments:

GEM said...

That was a wonderful time- I too can still smell the wind as it swept through our bedroom and put us to sleep with the sound of waves gently rolling upon the beach.

Anonymous said...

Isn't interesting if you keep to the four basic elements you find solace, warmth, protection, and healing. The farther you get from these basics more blurred and complicated life gets.

I think the ocean at night is amazing. Watching white caps roll in by moonlight makes me think of a trip to Mirtle beach where my brothers and I snuck out for night surfing. Not safe by todays standards but something that makes a wonderful memory.

Ger said...

For me its hard to beat laying on the soft forest floor hearing only the swaying of the trees and singing of the wind blow thru the tree tops. But a good campfire does pretty good too.
And in "the pursuit of happiness" I've found that it is much easier to obtain when we invest our thoughts and plans and actions into building or benefitting someone else instead of ourselves, by some created design...we end up with much greater happiness than if we had pursued it selfishly. Now I've seen this to be true so many times that it is held in my mind as "without a doubt". The amazing thing to me is how few discover it.

emc said...

Nice imagery. You know you can take little time-outs during the day and go back there; these little mini-vacations can do wonders for energy. Here's a good source for some helpful ambiances too.

emc said...

And btw, that experience at myrtle beach was the my funnest memory. Interesting how little, seemingly inconsequential moments, can have the most impact in our memories.

Paddling out into the waves in the night with the full moon creating a scintillating fairy path to the horizon... but tao, I think you were a bit wee weren't you?

Marbella said...

K - remember how at first Tao would get on his surf board and sit on it just until the waves almost touched him and he would jump up and run back; what precious memories

emc said...

Yeah, I remember that, LOL! He'd watch that water like a hawk and then snatch the board and run like a quail when a 1/2 inch of it washed up to the board.

Course, I was watching him like a hawk too, lol.