Thursday, July 20, 2006

Mountain Cabin-third verse

This should be the last rendition of life at the cabin, that is, unless Marbella decides to add a chorus. You can never tell about these marble ladies, they are prone to misplacing their marbles.

To set the background for this scenario I need to first explain Marbella's significant other's position at this district. He was the fire safety officer. Okay, now on with the story (a misnomer since the facts here are true). Remember the big black iron box(cook stove) that heated the water for the water heater? Well, I didn't know that this obscure tank that served as a water heater tank did not have a safety pop off valve. To go a step further, I didn't even know what a pop off valve was! One day I was busy baking so kept the iron box going most of the day and as I listened to the gurgling of the water in the tank, I was pretty proud of myself thinking, "boy will we have lots of hot water tonight". About this time I was paid a visit by the district patron's wife and when she heard the gurgling in the tank, she ran over and turned the hot water faucet on, grabbed me by the hand and took off out of the cabin in a run. I was pretty disgusted with her about this time thinking that she was wasting all of my good hot water. When she caught her breath even though she was white as a sheet and trembling she still managed to explain that the water heater tank was about to explode. My only response was "Oh".

The next near disaster happened when I had the best fire going in the small wood heater in the living room. It was several degrees below Zero so I figured that the more wood I put in the better it would be. This time, I was rescued by the fire safety officer who"not to kindly" explained to me that it was pretty stupid to have the fire so hot that the sides of the heater were beet red. Did you know that a red hot stove would set the wall on fire? Oh well, at least we "lived" while I learned. Yes, I was reprimanded for these near disasters, my goodness what a blemish on the safety officer's record, hee hee.

Now another lesson learned when I painted the bathroom. Did you know that if you use paint that has been frozen that it will just run off the walls and pool in the floor? Oh well, it wasn't such a pretty color anyway.

Well this may or maynot be the last news from the mountain cabin. Thanks for your visit.



2 comments:

Ger said...

Wonder how many forest fires in the national forest were started by the children or spouse of the foresters? Unless Paul Harvey got involved...the "rest of the story" may never get told in those cases. LOL.
Amazing how much safer the home environment has become in the past few decades.

emc said...

dang!