Monday, June 26, 2006

My Alien

I promised a cub that I would explain how my significant other got the nickname Alien. Its not that he doesn't have a green card or whatever it's just that he wears a space helmet. Well, I guess I should explain further.
If you have not experienced sleep apnea you are lucky. My Alien was doing all these weird things in his sleep. He would thrash around. Often during the night his body would jerk so hard it shook the bed. He would flail his arms (often times hitting me in the head). At this point, I decided he needed some help before he met an early demise. He went for the sleep apnea test and sure enough, he quits breathing several times during the night. When he quits breathing, the jerking and thrashing begin. Thus the need for the helmet. It has a hose hooked up to a machine and it makes him breathe.

Now to add to the drama, he now has to wear an arm brace at night because of carpal tunnel. Between my armored alien plus Casper establishing his territory, my sleep has been greatly impaired.
Oh well, with such a small number of marbles in the urn, I don't want to waste much time asleep.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey! My "alien" used to be really bad about that too. Her whole body would jerk trying to kickstart her breathing again and shake the whole room. I noticed a couple of things about this. It only happened when she was sleeping on her back, and she'd usually be tired the next day (no wonder!) So I started nudging her shoulder when she did this to get her to flip over to her side (it never happens in that position) After a while we got her subconscious re-trained to sleep that way.

If the space helmet becomes bothersome, you may want to try this.
http://hypnosis.wendi.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=SNR-CD2
Wendi is pretty good at this stuff...