Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Matriarch Cow

I have learned some interesting things in the mornings while I sit out on the deck drinking my coffee and surveying the countryside (my alien built this magnificent deck for us this summer, I will write more later to explain the events behind the alien's new name) . Yep, I am a country girl, and proud of it. Anyway, there is a pasture on a hill (in my view) and each day there is a specific order as to the activities that go on there. First, there is this matriarch cow that comes along and begins to eat. Its almost like she eats her fill and then sends a silent message to the rest of the herd. They begin to trickle in and pretty soon the entire herd is there. Have you noticed that for the most part all the cows in a pasture will be facing the same direction?
You see, I have some personal knowledge about cows. Being a very industrious lass who wanted to make a little spending money, I established a milk route delivering to these two elderly ladies. Twice a week, I delivered them each a quart of milk. I charged them 15 cents a quart. It was as fresh as you could get it since I milked the cow and then delivered it still warm. I was all of 12 then and had it made until my older sibling became embarrassed at me "pedaling" milk.
Oh well, as someone special use to say, "such is life".

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well I'm curious how ya got an alien. I kid my alien about that 'cause she even has an ID that says "Alien" on the card

And I thought cows always pointed their rumps toward the wind, which may explain why they face the same way. Or not, if it's not windy I guess ;-)