Saturday, September 09, 2006

"Sad Life"

Did you ever read the life of Robert Frost? He seemed to be a restless one with lots of relocating and changing of employment. There was obviously mental illness in his maternal family as well as Frost himself experiencing hearing voices, etc. He went on to bear children who also had emotional issues with one son committing suicide. I wonder if any of these influences were responsible for some of his poetry. It is interesting to me to see other people's lives and how the routine act of living and being affect what they do with their future. I am sharing one of his poems with you:

RELUCTANCE
by: Robert Frost

Out through the fields and the woods
And over the walls I have wended;
I have climbed the hills of view
And looked at the world, and descended;
I have come by the highway home,
And lo, it is ended.
The leaves are all dead on the ground, Save those that the oak is keeping
To ravel them one by one
And let them go scraping and creeping
Out over the crusted snow, When others are sleeping.
And the dead leaves lie huddled and still,
No longer blown hither and thither;
The last lone aster is gone;
The flowers of the witch-hazel wither;
The heart is still aching to seek,
but the feet question 'Whither?' Ah, when to the heart of man
Was it ever less than a treason
To go with the drift of things,
To yield with a grace to reason,
And bow and accept the end Of a love or a season?

2 comments:

emc said...

Cool poem, thanks for sharing it!

No one sent me the memo about hearing voices in the head, is that a bad thing?!!

I remember two of his poems, Two Roads Diverge and Stopping By Woods but didn't know much about his life, except through his poetry. Here's another one of his I like, called the Sound of Trees:

I WONDER about the trees.
Why do we wish to bear
Forever the noise of these
More than another noise
So close to our dwelling place?
We suffer them by the day
Till we lose all measure of pace,
And fixity in our joys,
And acquire a listening air.
They are that that talks of going
But never gets away;
And that talks no less for knowing,
As it grows wiser and older,
That now it means to stay.
My feet tug at the floor
And my head sways to my shoulder
Sometimes when I watch trees sway,
From the window or the door.
I shall set forth for somewhere,
I shall make the reckless choice
Some day when they are in voice
And tossing so as to scare
The white clouds over them on.
I shall have less to say,
But I shall be gone.

Ger said...

Thanks Marbella..i enjoy that travelling poem. Were on i74 in illinois at the moment, headed to gordonsville virginia for a morning appt.