Saturday, July 05, 2008

"Validate"

I recently read a blog regarding "falling out". That is so strange how people's minds work. For several days, the word validate has been buzzing around in my head. I have spent lots of time trying to figure out why it is imperative to some people to have certain actions performed to them or by them "validated".

I will admit to being guilty of this very thing. Have you ever noticed when someone feels like they have been "wronged" they crave the validation of someone or just anyone to validate their feelings. Why is this necessary? Does it make it any less painful or make it go away?

I tried to find the origin of this word and all I have found is that it was evidently first used in 1648.

Validation appears to have lots of uses in the computer field. The only validation I know of in this field is that I am almost totally illiterate.

In psychology and human communication, it applies more to opinions and feelings. This is strange since just acknowledging the other's opinions whether the listener actually agrees with the content seems important. The injured party seems to feel they are being treated with genuine respect rather than being dismissed.

All of this has made me think about appropriate responses. Maybe the best response is to use my ears to listen and my mouth to eat.

1 comment:

emc said...

Interesting theme. My guess is that people who can just take a word like "validate" or "falling" and chase them down rabbit holes probably don't get bored much :-)

In the computer field validation is all about controlling *risk*. A program is general a fairly inflexible thing and they are afraid of it receiving inputs that it didn't account for. It may lead to consequences that are not anticipated.

But the computer field may also lend some food for thought to this as it does distinguish between validating the individual ("authentication") and validating the input. So a process may trust and accept an individual completely but task them with correcting their input if it's out of bounds.

We humans tend to blur those two and confuse criticism (external validation) with attacks on our identities (authentic self.)