Tuesday, July 01, 2008

"Dear Mom"

We don't ever know for sure what "mediums" there are at work in this world today. So for that reason, I am writing this letter to you Mom. It has been a long time since we had a chance to sit down for a good visit. I sure miss those times don't you? I think each day how much you would enjoy our little (getting all grown up now) girl. She would have loved spending Friday nights with you. You would be proud of her. She is doing well in school and is going with the youth group on a mission trip in a few days. She has a tender heart and still misses you.

I finally got the date put on Aunt Ileene's headstone. It only took me five years but I knew you wouldn't want me to give up. I put flowers on Aunt Ileene's and Aunt C's and Kathryn did yours and dads. She used very pretty rose colored roses. You know your three daughters are so different in lots of ways. We each take turns picking the flowers and they are totally different each year and I am sure there are times that each of us "DON'T" particularly care for the taste of the other ones but we just hug and grin and say "when its our turn", ha.

Can you believe I am going to be a great grandmother again? A little boy, imagine that.

Mom, thank you and Dad for the values and standards you instilled in each of us. While I may not have agreed with all of your methods, I respected your love and sincerity in doing what you felt was the best for us. You and Dad are in my heart and thoughts daily.

There are so many things I wish I could say to you now like when I used to push you to schedule several things in one day. Believe it or not, now I totally understand how just having more than one thing can sometimes be overwhelming. Then there were the times "urging" you to get out and travel and do things. I am now understanding how wonderful it is to be at home to just be surrounded with familiar things with no pressure. Needless to say, I am finally understanding how much more sense it makes to sleep in my own bed rather than pay $100 for a fancy room where I get almost no sleep. Isn't like weird?

Edna is on a walker now. She looks very pretty every Sunday and does not look any older but she still gets teary eyed when she talks about "her bestest friend ever". I gave her a Mother's Day card again this year. It seems to please her a lot.

1 comment:

emc said...

Dear Mom's Mom,

I don't know how this stuff works either, but just saying 'hi' from a grandkid. Which gave me a little different perspective than *my* Mom. Like never getting swatted :-) And that twinkle in your eye.

In both you and Grandpa's eyes come to think about it.

It was always like you two were just on the verge of breaking out in a big grin whenever we looked at you. You'd always have some treat you'd smuggle us from your purse, out of sight of our parents. You did a good job with those daughters too, cause I know our kids (your great grandkids!) feel the same way about their "Grammy."

I hope both you Moms know how special you are to your family.