Tuesday, November 14, 2006

New Experience

I had a new experience yesterday that I enjoyed immensely. My siblings and I are in the process of leasing some of our royalty that we inherited from our Mom. As is my usual inquisitive nature, I couldn't figure why the numbers of acres seemed to change each time a land company leased the royalty. I decided that I would try to find out how all this worked. That involved me going to the court house in Atoka County and doing research on two Sections of land. There was one lady that worked there that sort of took me under her wing and taught me the tricks to find information. That was so interesting. I was able to learn how to trace the history of ownership clear back to their beginning. I was able to find out that we were being "underpaid" for the number of acres. The siblings were encouraging but didn't participate in the hunt. I have two more court houses to visit. One in Pittsburg County and one in Cooks County, Texas. Oh yes, another visit to Atoka County for two more sections. That is so fascinating to see all these records. Fortunately, these parcels of land so far have not changed ownership too awfully many times. Each time any transaction takes place, it is notated in first the legal description book under the specific Section, then the deeds are in yet more books and if the mineral rights have been sold they are also kept in minerals deed books. The land in Texas in question that my Papa kept the mineral rights on was land owned by his Dad and it was purchased back in the 1800's. After his death, Papa bought his siblings share of the property. We have no idea how much royalty we may have there. So far, there has not been anyone attempting to lease it. Anyway, I am looking forward to that challenge. Should be very interesting to read about that great grand father on the D side.

Casper had his beauty shop appt today and got his yearly vaccinations. He was really glad to see us when we picked him up.

Thanks for visiting!

2 comments:

Ger said...

ive gotta learn some of that. Wow...there just isn't enough time to learn all I wanta learn..LOL...Sounds like a fun adventure!!

emc said...

I think you and Nancy Drew have lots in common :-)