Saturday, September 26, 2009

"Relationship with God"

I treasure my relationship with God, my earthly family and my Christian brothers and sisters. I so strongly believe in God and everything he stands for as I have yet to find one thing he asks me to do that is detrimental for me.

Reading "The Shack" was one of the most thought provoking eye opening experiences that I have had. I agree with one of my cubs who referenced institutional religion. Having said that, I must add that the fellowship with my Christian brothers and sisters along with taking the symbol of the Lord's supper is very important to me and I need it on a consistent basis for my growth. Unfortunately, for years, we all grew up in very regimented, legalistic religions that were not very conducive in helping us build the warm relationship with the "Trinity" that is available to us.

I feel in my heart that I attend the Church body now that is all about love, forgiveness and nonjudgmental. For years, I attended different Churches of Christ and was considered sort of a renegade because my study of the bible didn't seem to find a lot of the "nos" that I heard on Sunday. But even then, the basics were there, the plan of salvation and the communion of the Lord's Supper. To me, those are the essentials and most everything else are the incidentals.
We are each responsible for our own soul and have to constantly study to learn more.

1 comment:

Ger said...

Good post. Good thoughts. I've seen much progress this past decade away from traditions of man's making and more towards the relationship with God. I found it fascinating when God explained to man why no "image" of Him was to be made...even so much as a picture...because He didn't want people worshiping the image..but rather Him. Think there are many today he would be surprised to comprehend the "subtle" or "huge" difference in what God desires there.