Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Used vehicles vs used bodies

Have you ever noticed the similarity between how much maintenance it requires to keep a vehicle with high mileage and a human body also with high mileage? Although there are always exceptions. Some older vehicles seem to be taken to the repair shop more often than others even though they have been properly serviced over the years. Some vehicles can be grossly abused and may require a lot less repair. Have you ever wondered why that can be? I have been doing lots of comparison lately between used vehicles with high mileage and human bodies also with high mileage. Some of these people can abuse their bodies with everything from overeating, drugs, sleep deprivation, etc etc and yet they continue to be relatively healthy. While others seem to be constantly having to be repaired even though they may have led a rather mundane type life. Just doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to explain this.



Speaking of repairs and high mileage, I recently went to the hospital for a one day procedure that required me to be sedated. Now for those of you that may not know it, I have had lots of trouble sleeping over the last several weeks. Well, I am here to tell you, I found the cure. If they would have given me a pint of the Versed like I asked!!! I was taken to the "holding" pen and hooked up to an IV, given a skimpy gown and then covered with two very warm blankets. About that time, the nurse gave me a shot of Versed in my IV. Out like a light I went and enjoyed such blissful sleep until I heard the doctor call my name. I was really irritated to be awakened but soon forgave them as right after they wheeled me into the "room" they gave me a "big" shot of Versed this time. Again, what wonderful sleep. Don't know what happened after that as I was definitely in La La land. And stayed that way for most of the day. Things I thought were dreams were actually things happening so the Alien told me. I kept seeing this big skillet and finally was awake enough to tell the Alien about it and he said, "I just got a skillet from Amazon and UPS delivered it". Sure enough, this morning there sat that big skillet on the stove. Nothing life threatening showed up just some minor tune up needed. Hopefully, they will give me more Versed, ya think?

1 comment:

emc said...

Whoa, glad to hear you're back from that ordeal, and with some interesting experiences to boot!

I've always suspected that a really astute observer could tell everything about a person from observing any single behavior. Like how they take care of their car is probably like how they treat there body. Which could be bad news in my case, I tend to drive them into the dirt and take intermittent care of them, usually just fixing what needs to be patched at the time. Hmmm. But then again, this quote has a certain resonance for me:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, gin & tonic in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming “WOO HOO! What a ride!” - Susan Sorrell

Of course, buying a big skillet probably carries some deep insight as well, although I'll be dang if I know what, but it seems ominous.