Sunday, July 08, 2007

Earlies Memories

A question posed several days ago asked if we remembered our very first memory. I have been giving this considerable thought. I think I have finally narrowed it down to two and to be honest, I don't know which was the first event. However due to the mode of transportation at the time, I will predict it was the wagon ride. Not just any wagon ride! This one had a special treat. We lived out in the country and rode into the small town nearby for groceries and feed for the livestock. This particular trip, my older sibling and I rode with our Dad. We felt so big sitting up on the seat right beside him. I was two and she was four. Anyway, when we got into town, Dad got the essentials and then he bought we girls a piece of coconut candy. This little square was about the size of a dice and they come in different colors. Some were yellow, some pink and some green. This day, ours were yellow. Inside these little gems of sugar was another special treat. There was a tiny ring in each piece. Now for those of you who know me, you know my past fondness for rings. So I contribute that desire for rings clear back to that fateful wagon ride. Our Dad had cautioned us to nibble them very slowly and when we saw the rings, it was the most special surprise that I have ever had to this day!

Now for the second memory. It involved a severe storm while living at this same place. I remember being in the storm cellar and Dad had the door open. We watched the hail, lightening and wind destroy our house, kill several head of livestock and ruin our car. Now the question, if we had a car then did we just take the wagon to haul the feed? Guess I will never know. Guess it doesn't make much difference anyway. I never realized the tremendous source of information available that is now lost for the time being.

Anyway, the Alien and I made blackberry jelly yesterday. Boy is it good!!!!!! We found the berries right here in Ada at our Farmer's market. Goes to show that sometimes the pastures might not be greener elsewhere.

Til next time!

1 comment:

emc said...

Cool memories! It's hard to imagine that first scenario today. Putting a ring in candy, the horror! What if a kid swallowed it, nevermind the fact that it might actually be the role of wise elders to be aware of things like that and advise their children. We're getting so dumbed down these days :-) Thanks for sharing!