Monday, May 12, 2008

"Things that are puzzling to me"

Don't panic, I promise not to list them all. This morning as I sat on the patio enjoying my coffee, I was pondering the house on the hill. For those of you familiar with me, you will know that has been a sore spot since they built there and took away the cows. Anyway, it is indeed a beautiful spot with a tremendous view. Oh if only they had put windows in the house so they could see the view. The windows are tiny, tiny. Then this morning I noticed that they have planted a big tree right in the middle of the front of the house. Now all of this has lead me to believe that I was mistaken when I thought they built on the hill for the view. Could it be that they just wanted some convenient way to push start their car? Could it be for an excuse not to go to work if we have ice? Oh well, I have given that enough of my time.

Now we shall think about hummingbirds. They are amazing little critters. So very graceful and fly so fast that if one were a coveter they might be tempted to envy the little birds. Now for the puzzling part, I have not been able to figure out why they are so territorial. If you had an acre filled with feeders one bird would decide they were the sole owner and user of it. I tried a little experiment this week. I spread out the feeders all around the deck by the pool and in one feeder I made the nectar twice as sweet. I thought that might make the bird stay there in fear of leaving it and someone else getting it. That would leave the other two feeders available for the less aggressive ones. Wrong, sure he or she guards that one but also the others as well. Still working on my next strategy.

Next puzzler is why after almost 70 years haven't I figured out the size of my tummy (how much it will hold) I can obviously see the outside of it since it is very prominent these days. Anyway, one of the cubs and spouse sent me money for mother's day (which they are not supposed to do) so I decided to put it to good use and eat at this neat restaurant called Pete's Place. As usual, I had to ask for a doggy bag. Then we had to figure out how to stay awake for the 60 mile drive home.

The next puzzle I have to give immediate attention to is how I am going to get my work done if I sat at this computer all day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

emc said...

Sounds like some interesting experiments with the hummingbirds!

You might like this. I didn't know they are only found in the americas.

Of course, if you follow that link, it may contribute to the last puzzle.

I did the exact same thing last night with the tummy-size misappropriation at the Taj. Argg.