Thursday, April 03, 2008

"Divine Intervention"

For all those nay sayers, just don't read this blog! Or maybe, you should read it and then you might see a higher power.

This is a weird story. Since 2004, I have suffered with stomach/digestion problems. In 2004, I had a scope done by a surgeon to check for Gerd. After the procedure, he came into the recovery room and told my husband and me that everything went well and I didn't have any problem.

Well, a few weeks ago I ask the Alien to get my medical records from the local hospital for the period from 1/2007 through 12/2007 so I could take them to the cardiologist with me for my checkup. Hospital personnel put them in a brown envelope and for some reason, I took them out and was looking through them.

Now this is where the intervention comes in. Mixed in with the 2007 reports was one sheet of paper that was my post operative report on the scope done in 2004. There was just the one sheet of paper from 2004 reports. When I read this report, I was absolutely stunned. The report revealed that not only did I have Gerd, but I also had a hiatal hernia with a supradiaphragmatic component along with my esophagitis.

Now, I admit that I didn't know how to process this information. I had begun to think all my problems were in my "head" and it was a relief to find that there was a reason for them. Next, I became angry that I had suffered for four years with this after being told nothing was wrong.

I guess the moral of this story is doctors are not infallible and as patients we have the right to our medical records. This is an encouragement to all to occasionally check their records to make sure nothing has been missed.

I totally believe divine intervention caused this one lone page to be included with my reports. There is just no other logical explanation. Had it just been done in the year prior, it might have been close but four years?????

I am constantly awed at God's presence in my life.

2 comments:

emc said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
emc said...

That's disconcerting. But I'm a firm believer in the approach you outline. Look at your own records, ask for clarification of their "interpretations", esp. what ELSE could have caused this, etc. Research and challenge, if necessary, any prescriptions they give. And INTERVIEW your doctors...how many cases like this have they treated, get some references. Most people don't leverage the fact that the doctors actually work for them, they AREN'T dispensers of special privileges. Ah, don't get me started ;-)