Thursday, January 11, 2007

Best Made Plans of Mice and Men

Sometimes no matter how hard you have tried to be organized it just doesn't work out that way. Today was one of those days for both me and the Alien. After a trip to the doctor yesterday to explore these weird "episodes" that have been occurring about once a week, she diagnosed the problem as Mini Strokes or TIA's. Being the cautious one she is, I was scheduled for an MRI, Ultrasound and blood work today to make sure there were no blockages. Well, this morning I hopped out of bed to get the cub off to school. She even talked me into taking her too school so she wouldn't have to ride the bus. About that time, one of the episodes hit again. When these hit, my vision is so blurred that driving is impossible, balance is gone, weakness is severe and usually there is nausea. At this point, I called the Alien to come get me to take me to the hospital. I was thinking for the tests but with my medical history, he assumed that I was having a heart attack so he called the ambulance so I got chauffeured to the hospital in style. Needless to say, my limo was closely followed by a red ford pickup. Now the fun really starts, yeah right.

I have to insert something humorous here. As they were wheeling me to Xray, a new tech in training was assisting the usual technician. The new tech had asked me my name and I told him. The seasoned tech said, "You must always check the bracelet as sometimes the elderly may not understand the question". If I had just had the energy, I could have had some fun with that. I knew that day could come but wish I could have been in a position to enjoy it.

Anyway to make a long story short, all the tests were run and no blockages. The ER physician came in and told me that he had discussed all this with my own physician and they both agreed that the mini strokes were being caused by stress. As the ER doc said, you can take a 5 gallon bucket and try to put in 7 gallon and something has to give. Where we go from here is a big question.

Don't worry, the Alien is like a mother hen and takes such good care of me and oh yes, Casper too, he won't leave my side when I am ill.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You better take it easy, you have a lot of cubs and cubbettes pulling for you.

Ger said...

eMaybe that doc can check out the possibility this is all precursors to Temporal Arteritis. Hope they find and fix the problem soon!! Beginning with a restful weekend and the new medicine maybe the new year will improve very soon! Let the rest of the world pull their own weight for a change.

emc said...

Well, you scared us there Marbella! Don't know of a way to get a bigger bucket for stress, but do know some ways to change the bucket into a sieve.

I've been following this research for a while, and it's a nice way to re-educate the mind/body so that not only will stress not "stick", but you'll regain the energy that typically gets invested in it. It works like a biofeedback game. Check out the user responses in particular. You can investigate more about the background and studies for this in their book too.

Another fun game that incorporates the HeartMath technology (and more) is Wild Divine. It's also less expensive.

These are neat because, while everyone talks about the importance of dealing with stress, not to many people talk about learning how to do it; other than vague generalities about taking time off and such, which doesn't really work if the mind, body and emotions don't know how to release stress during these down times(!) (I'm not refering to tao and ger-bean's advice, just the general lack in our education of knowing "how" to effective use it.)